Doctor ‘Hosted Deadly Drugs Party’

A psychiatrist specialising in addiction therapy hosted a three-day drink and drugs binge which ended in a guest fatally overdosing on ecstasy, a hearing was told yesterday. Dr Clint Tatchell discovered David Steel dead in his living room and then hurriedly cleaned his Glasgow flat before police arrived, it is claimed. Detectives later discovered Mr Steel had also taken 19 diazepam tablets as well as ecstasy, heroin and cocaine during the party.

Tatchell, who worked for Greater Glasgow NHS, had allegedly prescribed sedative diazepam pills for his flatmate Brian Hoolichan while drunk.

The General Medical Council heard he then lied to officers by claiming he had kept the drugs in an unlocked cabinet – only to insist it was locked three months later. Tatchell tried to cover his tracks by fabricating medical notes to make it seem he prescribed diazepam to Mr Hoolichan during a genuine appointment, it is claimed.

Tatchell, of Port Dundas, Glasgow, is appearing at the GMC accused of misconduct. Tatchell and his friends allegedly met Mr Steel while partying at the Polo Lounge, a gay bar in Glasgow, on 19 September, 2003.

Tatchell then wrote the sedative prescription out for Mr Hoolichan while the party continued at his home the next day, it is claimed. But the pills were left on his living- room table and Mr Steel swallowed 19 of them before falling unconscious.

The doctor allegedly put Mr Steel to bed and realised he was dead at 4am. He was found to have died of an ecstasy overdose.

Tatchell is also accused of producing a six-gramme bag of cocaine at Mr Steel’s 30th birthday party on 30 January, 2003, and saying: “Let’s get the party started.”

Tatchell denies having cocaine at the party and also denies he was drunk. He admits he should have known Mr Hoolichan was drunk when he wrote the prescription for diazepam and that he drove a friend to a pharmacy to collect the sedative.

Tatchell further admits that Mr Smith left the pills on the living-room table, but denies his actions were inappropriate, irresponsible and an abuse of his position.

Tatchell admits telling police he made notes of a consultation with Mr Hoolichan on 18 September 2003, but denies the notes were fabricated. He further denies his fitness to practise is impaired.

The hearing continues today.