Leadership programme seeks top talent from all areas of healthcare
The NHS Leadership Academy and its partners from across health, social care, education, local government, children’s and emergency services is going to take the 40 most impressive leaders – from across the nation and all sectors – on a transformational journey towards greater understanding, self- awareness and the confidence to deliver the change demanded by our public sector.
If you have cross sector experience and influence, you could be a prime contender for Intersect – a ground-breaking new systems leadership programme from Leadership for Change, led by the NHS Leadership Academy.
What is systems leadership?
Systems leadership is the leadership we need for our times. It spreads the leadership load across individuals, services, sectors and communities, extending across professions. It starts from the view that leadership is not vested in people solely through authority or position and it involves sharing leadership with others, coming together on the basis of shared ambition and being willing to work with uncertainty and towards solution.
So systems leadership goes beyond working together: it’s about a shared approach to leading together, bringing in people’s energies, ideas, talents and expertise across the board – and this is the foundation to ensuring that services provide integrated care for people.
Systems leadership is suited to the issues currently facing public services – and it’s particularly helpful for people involved in any aspect of service delivery, who have to balance public expectations about services with the resources available.
To be a successful systems leader, it helps if you know more about you. About your impact, your leadership style, how you work with complex and challenging issues.
This is where Intersect comes in.
Who is the programme for?
Intersect is for leaders already in or close to executive roles across public services who face complex issues and changing landscapes.
The best-equipped individuals to lead system-wide change across the sectors are currently holding senior positions within their organisation. Do you? If so, you’ll want to push yourself even further; to explore your potential and ask/answer some probing and often difficult questions. You will be willing to dedicate significant time and absolute commitment to every part of the programme for one year. And you’ll realise this is the challenge you’ve been working towards and waiting for.
The NHS Leadership Academy is going to take England’s 40 most impressive leaders – from across the nation and all sectors – on a transformational journey towards greater understanding, self- awareness and the confidence to deliver the change demanded by our public sector.
If you have cross sector experience and influence, you could be a prime contender for Intersect – the ground-breaking new systems leadership programme from the NHS Leadership Academy and its collaborative partners.
What outcomes am I aiming for?
- Increased confidence to be able to establish meaningful and productive relationships
- Explore the nature of yourself, other people and external organisations
- A deeper understanding of cross-sector dynamics
- Engage with participants from other sectors to gain a deeper understanding of behaviours, practices and processes outside your organisation
- Exposure to leading edge thinking and collaboration
- Increased emotional intelligence and self-awareness
When does the programme start?
The year-long Intersect leadership programme starts on 21 July. You will need to attend six residential modules in person over this period.
What dates do I need to commit to?
- Module 1: 21–25 July 2014, NHS Leadership Academy, Leeds
- Module 2: 17–19 September 2014, Location TBC
- Module 3: 3–5 December 2014, Location TBC
- Module 4: 4–6 March 2015, Location TBC
- Module 5: 13–15 May 2015, Location TBC
- Module 6: 6-10 July 2015, NHS Leadership Academy, Leeds
How do I apply?
- First stage: Online written applications from 24 April 2014 through the NHS Leadership Academy website.
- Application deadline: 21 May 2014.
- Second stage: Shortlisted applicants will be asked to attend face-to-face or virtual interviews from 21 May 2014.
- Final stage: 40 participants will be appointed from the pool of applicants.
Apply for the Intersect systems leadership programme here: http://www.leadershipacademy.nhs.uk/join/