Vale Of Glamorgan Council Knew Of Abuse Teen’s Past
A council has admitted knowing that a 19-year-old man who raped and abused his carers’ children had a history of sexual behaviour.
The teenager was placed with the couple who were not told about his past offences, even though Vale of Glamorgan Council knew about them.
He was given an indeterminate sentence of imprisonment after admitting sexually abusing their children.
The council also revealed that disciplinary action has taken place.
The confirmation that social services knew of the teenager’s background came as council leader councillor Gordon Kemp issued an unreserved apology to the family.
We deeply regret the distress and harm caused to the children and their parents
The council would not provide further details of what disciplinary action had taken place.
“We deeply regret the distress and harm caused to the children and their parents,” Mr Kemp said.
“Senior managers have met with them to apologise unreservedly. We have also sought to find out if we can assist the family in meeting any need they may have for support.”
The teenager, who cannot be named to protect the identity of the family’s children, admitted rape and sexual abuse at Cardiff Crown Court while on a placement scheme for adults run by Vale of Glamorgan council.
He was given an indeterminate sentence of imprisonment for public protection when he was sentenced on Friday, 27 February.
He will serve a minimum term of six years before he can be considered for release and was placed on the sex offenders’ register and banned from working with children for life.
The family he had been placed with did not know he had a record of sexual behaviour with children.
An urgent investigation is under way by the council which has admitted a “serious error of judgment”.
Allegations about the man’s sexual behaviour were first made in 2004, when it was claimed he acted in a sexually inappropriate way to another boy.
In 2005, he is said to have sexually touched a boy while they were both living at a hostel in England.
Last year, he allegedly sexually assaulted a 16-year-old while they were staying in the same hostel.
The Vale of Glamorgan council has said a report into the case should be available within the next two months.
The authority has promised the family that they will be allowed an input into the inquiry and that they will be allowed to view the report before it is made public.