Boy, 15, Threatened Staff At Care Centre, Court Hears
A 15-year-old boy has been remanded in custody after a court heard he threatened staff at a high support care unit.
The boy was brought before the Dublin Children’s Court today to be charged with criminally damaging three cars, belonging to staff at a care unit he resides in, on Sunday last.
Garda Catherine Keogh, of Swords station, objected to bail saying he had caused a “serious amount of damage” and had threatened staff after that he “would get them” and cause more damage if he returned to the unit.
“Staff feel threatened by his presence,” she added.
One of the care workers told Judge Anne Ryan: “When the gardaí arrived and tried to arrest him they asked for my help. I held him against a squad car and he said that he would get me on the outside.”
Another care worker told the court that the boy told her he would find out where she and her colleague lived “and get us back”.
An official from the unit also told the court that the boy had not co-operated with the care programme that had been put in place to help him. He also added that the boy frequently spent nights away from the care unit.
The Dublin boy denied making the threats. He said that he had been trying the get a place on a training course and if bailed to return to the care home he would follow its programme.
Judge Ryan said there were “serious matters” before the court and she accepted the evidence of the care staff and that they felt threatened.
She said what happened was unacceptable and the court “must look to their safety and the interests of justice”.
The boy was remanded in custody to the Trinity House detention centre to appear again next week.
Two other 15-year-olds charged with criminal damage in connection with the same incident were granted bail to appear again later, pending directions from the Director of Public Prosecutions.