Council Set To Scrap Respite Care Fee Increase
Council officials in Wokingham look set to do a u-turn on the crunch decision to increase charges for respite care in residential and nursing homes. Wokingham Borough Council is looking to axe the plans to start charging for the first four weeks of someone receiving care in a registered care home.
The plan was originally approved by the decision-making executive last year but, during the recent consultation, residents said it would mean some carers were not able to take a break from looking after someone.
The proposal to revert back to subsidising the first four weeks of care in any year was set to be rubber-stamped at last Thursday’s (March 29) executive meeting.
Head of community care services Pat Brecknock said: “I am glad the executive is looking again at this decision, as this is an important service that provides vital support for carers and those they look after.”