Characteristics of children in need in England: 2012 to 2013
Information on the numbers of children referred to and assessed by children’s social services for the year ending March 2013.
The ‘Characteristics of Children in Need’ publication contains figures on the numbers of children referred to and assessed by children’s social services. It includes information on:
- the characteristics of children in need
- children who were the subject of a child protection plan for the year ending March 2013
All 24 tables from the publication are contained in the ‘SFR45/2013: Main tables’ excel document.
Additional analysis of children in need by characteristics available through matching to the national pupil database (NPD) was published on 27 February 2014.
This analysis includes local authority and national information on:
- matching rates
- prevalence of special educational needs and free school meals
- attainment at key stage 2, key stage 4, and progression between these key stages
- absence and exclusion rates all for children in need
The figures also include absence levels for children in need who were also subject to a child protection plan.