Three rescued from care home blaze in Mold

THREE woman had to be rescued by firefighters after a blaze at a care home in North Wales.

Emergency services were called to the fire at the home in New Brighton Road, Mold, at just before 6pm yesterday evening.

Two women – a care worker and a resident – were taken to hospital and treated for smoke inhalation, while a relative of the resident was treated for smoke inhalation at the scene.

The relative of the resident and care worker had to be rescued from a first-floor window at the front of the building, while the resident was rescued from an internal stairwell.

Fire officials said that the fire had broken out in a first-floor shower room and had been contained in the room – and that smoke alarms had alerted the occupants to the fire.

An investigation is now underway into the cause of the blaze.

A total of three fire teams from Deeside and Mold, and an aerial ladder unit from Wrexham, were involved in the rescue operation.

Andy Robb from North Wales Fire and Rescue Service said: “The fire was confined to the shower room on the first floor which suffered severe damage, with smoke damage throughout the remainder of the first floor of the property.

“Firefighters used four sets of breathing apparatus and a hose reel jet in dealing with the incident.”