Youth Worker Killed In Fall At Bala College

CHURCH leaders paid tribute last night to a man who died after falling down a staircase at a church-run youth centre in North Wales.

Siôn Ifan Evans was a youth worker at Coleg y Bala in Bala. He was also deputy warden at the centre, run by the Presbyterian Church of Wales.

Paramedics and police were called to the centre just before 3.25am on Saturday.

Mr Evans, originally from Llwyndafydd, near New Quay in Ceredigion, is believed to have tumbled about 30ft.

The 27-year-old was leading a youth weekend and is believed to have been carrying an item of equipment upstairs.

He was rushed by ambulance to Wrexham Maelor Hospital where he was pronounced dead soon after arrival.

Leaders of the Presbyterian Church of Wales said Mr Evans was an “exceptional individual” who expressed his faith in all aspects of his life.

The Presbyterian Church of Wales’ general secretary, the Rev Ifan Roberts, said: “Sion’s talent and skill made him an exceptional individual, a very approachable person, a true professional who was thorough and conscientious in every aspect of his life.

“He was a true friend and always ready to help – but above all he was a Christian of conviction, who had come to know and accept Jesus as Lord.

“His faith was not expressed solely in words, but in all aspects of his life, and in all he did.

“He will be greatly missed because his life touched so many people and we can but pray that his family and friends will know the strength and comfort of the Lord.”

“We extend our most sincere sympathy, sharing their grief at the loss of one who achieved so much and who had so much more to contribute,” he said.

The youngsters attending the weekend, aged between 12 and 16 and from North and mid Wales, were told about the tragedy after breakfast.

Mr Roberts said their parents were called and by lunchtime all of them had returned home.

Mr Evans was appointed a youth worker for the church in 2002 after graduating from the University of Bangor.

A spokesman for North Wales Police said Mr Evans’ death was not being treated a suspicious.

Mr Evans leaves his mother and father and a sister.