Judge approves £1.1m settlement for teenager seriously injured during birth
A judge has approved a £1.1 million damages settlement for a teenager who suffered a severe upper body injury during birth.
Deputy High Court judge Clare Padley concluded at a hearing in London on Monday that the agreement was in the boy’s best interests, after a relative took legal action against hospital bosses on his behalf.
The judge said the teenager could not be identified in media reports of the case.
She said Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust, which is based in London and has responsibility for the care of the boy and his mother, can be named.
Barrister Julian Matthews told the judge that the boy suffered a “significant” injury which limits his activities and work prospects.
He told the judge that the boy’s mother had experienced difficulties during previous births – and said hospital staff had not explained the risks of a natural birth or offered her a Caesarean section.
Mr Matthews said agreement on a damages figure had been reached after discussions with lawyers representing the trust.
A lawyer representing the trust at the hearing apologised for “failings” in care.
Another judge last week approved a similar settlement, involving a different hospital trust, after hearing that a teenage girl had suffered a severe injury at birth.
Copyright (c) PA Media Ltd. 2022, All Rights Reserved. Picture (c) Georgie Gillard / PA.