Tate Modern attempted murderer accused ‘told carers of plan to kill someone a year earlier’

The teenager who threw a six-year-old boy from the viewing platform of the Tate Modern gallery in London spoke about plans to push someone off a high building a year earlier, it has been reported.

Jonty Bravery, 18, admitted pushing the French child from the 10th floor at the tourist attraction on August 4 last year.

A recording from autumn 2018, obtained following a joint investigation by BBC News and the Daily Mail, allegedly reveals him telling his carers of a plan to kill someone.

The audio, reported to be the voice of Bravery, says: “In the next few months I’ve got it in my head I’ve got to kill somebody.”

Bravery (picture), who is autistic, also allegedly told his carers he wanted to go into central London and visit a tall landmark to push somebody off it.

Care provider Spencer & Arlington told the BBC that employees had “no knowledge or records of the disclosure”.

In a statement, the company said there was “absolutely no evidence” that Bravery “may have told his carers of his plan”.

Spencer & Arlington said there was no record of the disclosure in any care plan, care report or review from managers or his carers, psychologists, or health workers.

But it said it recognised the “gravity” of the claim and has reported the concerns to the Care Quality Commission (CQC).

A CQC spokesman said: “We remain in direct contact with Spencer & Arlington. The local authority are the lead for the Serious Case Review and we will be supporting this in any way required.”

A Hammersmith and Fulham Council spokesman said: “Our sympathies go out to the child and his family following what happened at Tate Modern.

“An independent Serious Case Review is now under way. It will look at what happened and the role played by all the different agencies involved.”

It comes as LBC presenter Iain Dale stormed off Good Morning Britain on Friday morning during a discussion about the case when fellow guests, BBC broadcaster Nihal Arthanayake and author Grace Blakeley, suggested social care cuts were to blame.

Mr Dale said that was “utter rubbish” and blamed care staff for not reporting concerns, adding: “You don’t have to have thousands of pounds to be able to be sensible.”

Bravery, from Ealing in west London, admitted a charge of attempted murder in December at the Old Bailey and is due to be sentenced in February.

The court previously heard that the teenager was seen wandering about the viewing platform before picking up his victim and throwing him over the edge.

The six-year-old boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, suffered a bleed to the brain, fractures to his spine, and broken legs and arms in the fall.

The youngster had been visiting London with his family at the time and is now said to be recovering in his native France.

A GoFundMe page set up to raise money for his intensive rehabilitation said he had started to speak again shortly before Christmas.

Copyright (c) PA Media Ltd. 2020, All Rights Reserved. Picture (c) The Metropolitan Police / PA Wire.

Share On: